Monday, December 1, 2008

Spinning from the Lock, again

I got a new fleece! It's a border leicester X. This one is less curly and more lustrous than the last border leicester X fleece I got. I promptly washed it, dyed it and tried spinning from the lock. So fun! I love spinning so much, it's kind of a crazy experiment to see where all the colors end up and it is not easy to predict what the final outcome will be.



Washed and dyed fleece.



Teased. I simply pulled it apart by hand. Here is the teased wool on my windowsill. You can see how it looks like a puffy cloud, pretty translucent.



And here it is all spun up. It has a slightly fuzzy surface, since the fibers were spun from the lock, and not combed or carded. I sometimes like this more "rustic" looking yarn.

If you're a spinner, I hope you'll try this technique. It's fun, easy and gives you another option to add to your repertoire.

4 comments:

janjan said...

I had no idea you had a blog! It is be-yoo-ti-ful. You're inspiring me to get crafty/artsy and try Etsy.

primdollie said...

how fun I just realized you had a blog!!what awesome knitted goodies and of course love spinning from the lock esp with the pretty fibers I have from you now!!(am hoarding them for ME!!!) also added your blog to mine!! happy new year dear!!hugs Linda

Claire MW said...

Just found your blog (from looking at things in your Etsy store) and I'm so glad I found it. I love this spinning from the lock post. I also love the locks I bought from you over the holiday. I'll definitely be back!

Sherri ~ daintytime said...

This is beautiful yarn. Wow I'm so impressed at your spinning.